Google
 

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Gilgamesh -- Whose Side Are You On?

One think I've learned over the years watching anime is that you don't have to dive in from DVD Vol. 1. Sometimes it's good to wait till there are 3-4 volumes out so you can spend a good portion of the day watching each episode in a row. I did this with Trigun and Cowboy Bebop (box set) and those are still two of my favorite series even though I did not jump on from Vol.1. I've found a new series that matches this trend, Gilgamesh from ADV Films.

I've passed by this series on the store shelves quite a few times, caught first by the title then by the cover art. As I began watching this series my wife asked me why it's in black and white. Well, it's not, but it's a thought I was also having. The use of color is very subtle in this series. The grey tones set the mood the the entire anime, it's not a happy go lucky story. It's set in a world ravaged by one single terrorist attack (You'll learn more at the official site). The music is also very subdued and fits the visual feel so well.

One of my favorite things about this series is the character design. I feel like I'm watching a series set in the world of Blood: The Last Vampire. I don't know how best to describe the look, it's just unique, and so perfect for Gilgamesh. I've seen screen shots of the upcoming Blood+ and I must say Gilgamesh is what that series should have looked like. I'm just a few disc in (# 3 to be exact) and I am hooked.

The opening theme, Crazy 4 U, is catchy and sort-of off center for such a moody anime. Well, that does it for now, check out Gilgamesh, watch a trailer at least, and enjoy one of the prettiest anime on the market.

No comments:

Post a Comment