Google
 

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Hikaru no Go Manga Impression

Who know a board game could be this much fun!

When reading Shonen Jump you can expect plenty of action and adventure whether you prefer Dragon Ball Z or Naruto, but you also get something a little unexpected, a game of GO.

Hikaru no GO, created by Yumi Hotta with art by Takeshi Obata (Death Note), follows sixth-grader Hikaru Shindo as he learns to play the board game GO. After coming in contact with a old bloody GO board at his grandfathers, Hikaru now sees and interacts with Fujiwara-no-Sai, an ancient GO master who used to teach the Emperor of Japan in centuries past. These two have an interesting go at it (oooooo, sorry, pad pun :P) as they learn about each other and as Hikaru learns to play and chase his rival.

My initial reaction when I heard about a manga based on GO was luke-warm, I did not know what to expect, especially since I've never played GO. After reading the manga, and watching the anime I must say, GO is a very cool game. I still know nothing about GO, but I've tried my hand at it a few times, it really is tough, and it makes me enjoy the manga even more since I can understand some of the moves and strategy.

You need to do yourself a favor and pick up one (or two) volumes of Hikaru no GO. It's a great read and may have you playing GO in no time.

1 comment:

  1. this manga in my opinion is crap i read 2 chapters of it in shonen jump, it sucks. who makes a manga about go?!?!?! wtf? i mean its the equivilemnt of dc comics coming out with a comic about chess... its retarded dont read it you will save yourself some time

    ReplyDelete